Saturday 14 June 2014

I don't think, I lust

Faded love
source: www.flicker.com

The thing I hate most about lust is the fact that it's so subtle. Let me be honest, I didn't even know I was lusting and till date I can't even recall when it started.

I don't necessarily want to go into this subject as I'm convinced that the majority of people reading this are aware of it and have probably encountered (for lack of better word) it.

My post is for those who have struggled and I mean struggled with it for the past months or even years and are at their wits end and need help. I know that position. I know what it did to me physically and spiritually; it's not an easy battle to engage in.

For the majority of us, it starts with an image, a thought of a person or even a familiar scent for those with a more 
sensual outlook. Yes, this is how subtle it can be as I mentioned before.

Firstly, let me address that the enemy is aware of the state of your mind and has decided to use this as a main weapon of warfare against you.
Let's look at a few scriptures before I go on to explain tools that I've used which has helped me through the years.
Matthew 5:27-30 (NLT)
27“You have heard the commandment that says, ‘You must not commit adultery.’ 28But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29So if your eye—even your good eye—causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your bodythan for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your hand—even your stronger hand—causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

The first part of this verse addresses lust and what it actually is-adultery. Then the second part addresses how to combat it and with what intensity. For you to physically pluck your eye out would leave you blind and in excruciating pain. However, looking at it metaphorically it means that you've disabled the equipment that would otherwise land you in trouble.
In essence, this verse helped me to understand how God viewed lust and how He wanted me to deal with it.

Hebrews 4:16 (NLT)

This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

This verse has been a great comfort to say the least. At times I'd feel episodes of  sheer guilt, shame and rejection. Upon reading this, I'd understand that I was in a relationship with someone who understood EXACTLY what I was encountering but was able to withstand it meaning that through my constant relationship with Him, I too could overcome.

1 John 5:4 (NLT)


For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith
I smile whenever I think of this scripture because I learnt it by listening to a sermon in church but didn't know how important a scripture it would become to me.
Simply stated; because He overcame, I can overcome.

1 Corinthians 10:3-4 (NLT)

We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.

Yeah welcome to Christianity also known as spiritual warfare. This verse practically tells you what Matthew 5 gruesomely explained. Throw the thoughts into the bottomless pit of hell. That's where they belong, not your mind!!

Psalms 19:4 (NLT)

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O  
lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Again another scripture that helped me to cast down thoughts by simply replacing it with the word of God.

James 4:7 (NLT)
So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
I remembering reading this entire passage of scripture realising that I had read it only to understand one point. I must be under the umbrella (protection) of God before I can even face the devil, unless I'll just be flicked away like a piece of dust.

These scriptures are not extensive but this is what I used in overcoming this demon called lust.

Now, I'd like to give a few tactical points in overcoming this.
1. Prayer
What I mean in this point is that you should be honest with God. Explain to Him that you have this weakness and need His help. He already understands and He's already holding your hands, however He just needs you to keep the grip and never let go.
However, be aware that this is a spiritual battle and needs to be fought brutally, so don't be comfortable or familiar with your prayer in regards to this. Address the enemy and let him know that you're not giving up!

2. Memorising the word and using it as a weapon
This is the biggest weapon you have to use in prayer. First of all read the word on this subject area of the mind and use it. Memorise it till it becomes a part of you. Then when the moment arises you're equipped.

The three times Jesus was tempted by the devil, He used the word in order to overcome the temptation and over power the attempts of the enemy. It works! I know it does.


3. Confession/accountability
I can't stress this point enough. Let me be honest, the average evangelical/Pentecostal Christian doesn't want to be open with their fellow Christian brothers and sisters and the enemy is using this to divide the church.

The word of God instructs us to confess our sins one to another. There's a reason why; two heads are better than one, physically,mentally and spiritually. Share with your Christian friend. I know some feel that they may be judged but I've found great peace in this. If you're not sure of who to talk to, pray first and let God lead you. I'm telling you it has helped. Don't expect too much, because they're not God and cannot fully solve this issue. In summary, this friend of yours can help you to pray continually and encourage you even when you don't feel like doing the right thing. There's great progress when you have the support of someone. Galatians 6:2 (NLT) says "Share each other's burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ."

4. Identify the conditions surrounding you that make you more vulnerable
Are you more susceptible to lust in the morning because you've just woken up, are weak and not been able to gather your thoughts?
Is it when you're idle and not occupied?
Identify it and when you have, use it to your advantage.

5. Watch what you watch
In other words, guard your heart.  If you already know that watching a particular film or reading something will later result in episodes of lust then there's no point. Avoid it.

Let me close by saying that the state of your mind is important to God! That's the avenue He uses to talk with you so the enemy will do anything to block it.

Let's begin to think and not lust!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. this is so encouraging hun,may ur lips continually be like the pen of a ready writer.God bless u real good for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement! Amen to your prayers sis

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig