Sunday 16 March 2014

What's in your heart?


The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9)
(Source: www.netdoctor.co.uk)

The physical heart is no more than the size of a fist, yet it is a powerful and complex muscle that constantly supplies the whole body with the most essential bodily fluid along side nutrients and oxygen. The heart also functions to remove toxic substances from the body, such as carbon dioxide, in order for the body to remain in a healthy condition. Whilst the heart functions almost autonomously, lifestyle impacts can alter its function and in worse case scenarios, totally stop it. As briefly summarised, the heart is necessary for survival.

The spiritual heart can be likened unto the physical heart as it controls our being. What's in our heart ultimately determines our thoughts, actions, habits and our character. This is why Proverbs 4:23 says 'Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.' 


Another scripture that deals with the content of the heart is Matthew 5, '27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.'


I like this scripture as it talks of the content of the heart (lust), the actions caused by its content (adultery) and how to deal with it (getting rid of lust totally and completely by changing lifestyle habits, e.g, the things you see and hear). 


Intrigued by someone's behaviour? Ask them of their experiences and you'll see the content of their heart.


I feel a lot of times people judge each other by their actions and whilst this can be an indicator of the condition of the heart, it must not be confused with their actual intent. I remember recently having an experience with God. During the week, I hadn't spent much time with Him in word, prayer or song. Having arrived at choir rehearsals, it was time to worship. Just as I was going to open up my mouth and sing something happened, God asked me 'What's in your heart?' I stopped to look at who was talking but obviously I knew who. I was in shock. Truly what was in my heart to give to Him? 

This scripture came to mind, 'But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart. ( 1 Samuel 16:7b NIV). 

God is looking at the content of my heart because that's my control centre as stated previously. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were instructed to present offerings without spot, wrinkle or blemish. This is illustrated in Leviticus 22,  '17 The Lord said to Moses, 18 “Speak to Aaron and his sons and to all the Israelites and say to them: ‘If any of you—whether an Israelite or a foreigner residing in Israel—presents a gift for a burnt offering to the Lord, either to fulfill a vow or as a freewill offering, 19 you must present a male without defect from the cattle, sheep or goats in order that it may be accepted on your behalf. 20 Do not bring anything with a defect, because it will not be accepted on your behalf.'
If my heart isn't right, how can I offer it unto Him? That's a blemish in itself.

I believe the heart is sensitive, due to this, we need to guard our heart so that it can continue to function as its supposed to.


It's good to talk about the heart but it's an extensive topic, truly who can fully grasp it? (Jeremiah 17:9 NIV)

Rubologs 
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Deep stuff.More grace sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalms 45:1 KJV
    My heart.... I speak of the things which I...my tongue is the pen of a ready writer

    We commit ur future inspired writings into God's Hands,may you remain connected to the *Heavenly Library and every favour u need to publish them in Jesus Name.

    Kind Regards..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very relevant topic and I loved the way you made the link about our actions being driven by what's in our heart. I would have loved you to go further with one or more examples of ways we misjudge others because we focus on their actions rather than their intent. Oh, and throw in a few tips on how to avoid doing that. Well written and so relevant especially the no talking to God all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi aunty! I'm ecstatic that you read this and I will definitely be writing another peace on the content of the heart. Your suggestions are a great directive. Thank you so much

      Delete
  4. Quite true auntie dayo.

    Ruthie from what auntie dayo have said I think it may be good for you to do/write two or three more series in continuation of "what's in your heart" as God enables u.

    Keep up d good work n Happy Easter in advance.

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig