Tuesday 30 May 2017

When it is not well

Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5)

I’m from a Nigerian background…. scratch that - I am Nigerian and proudly so. I am also a Christian (waits for everyone’s negative view and moves on). With this said the term ‘Nigerian Christian’ comes to mind.  

I love love love the vibrancy, passion and zeal expressed by some of my fellow Nigerian Christians. The enthusiasm displayed is contagious and encourages you to be expressive of your worship. However, there is one pet peeve I have, the ‘IT IS WELL’ phrase.
I originally heard of this phrase in the beloved hymn - It is well with my soul. This hymn for me has been a great help during difficult times. Whilst it may not have brought the solution to the problem, what it has done is provide peace and clarity for me to move forward; something one can argue is a solution in itself.

Initially, ‘It is well’ was used, in my opinion, as a means to comfort someone going through a difficult time. I think it is quite appropriate actually. However, it has been abused!!! Errbody and then some say it. In fact, it’s even used as a way to end a conversation, as if to say it is now a full stop. Like how did this happen?
It has also been used as a means to avoid answering a question. Can anyone relate? You talk with someone but instead of them talking sense or providing you with a good answer they burst out with this response.

Ok there goes my background information…please follow along.

I recently encountered some not so pleasant circumstances and these were my thoughts. I kept thinking- what happens when it is not well? That sentence doesn’t sound grammatically correct but honestly, that’s what I thought. What do I do when I cannot find the right words to say to myself or even someone else? 

What happens when ‘It is well’ does not suffice? 

At the time I had no solution, but that season passed and with it came points that could help someone else get through a difficult season:

1.     A support system
Remember how I said the ‘it is well’ phrase was coined to encourage someone through a difficult time? Well having a support system sit with you to listen and provide encouraging thoughts can be a great anecdote to the situation you find yourself in.

2.     Allow yourself to go through the motions
I strongly believe in being real with yourself. I am one for crying, needing a hug or whatever else…BUT doing this in the presence of the Lord. So have your moment but do it with God.

3.     Realising there is an end
Sometimes when we go through certain things we forget that there is an end date to it. I get it, it seems like forever but when we walk with the mentality that ‘this too shall pass’, it helps us in our attitudes to move forward.

4.     Taking it step by step
Give yourself some slack. You will not know what to do at every point, instead ask God for the next thing to do and He will direct your path.

If there’s anything I wanted to achieve with this post, it was to make you think about the power behind words…I hope that can be said of this piece.

With love,

Rubo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig