Monday 24 November 2014

Anger affects your fruit

Source: www.notable-quotes.com
Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires (James 1:20 NLT)


Ever been angry? Rained a few choice words at a loved one? Felt like you could have pulled someone's brains out? Read on...

There are two scriptures I've been pondering on for a few weeks, if not months, at the back of mind that relates to anger.


Ephesians 4:25-27 (NIV)

 “In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."
James 1:20 (NLT)
"Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires."

See when I first read these scriptures, I actually became more aware of the importance of remaining calm in situations that warrant anger.  However, my awareness was blinded by the reasoning that this wasn't right 'because the bible said so'. Recently I read these scriptures again when sharing it with one of my mentees and then it became clearer to me.


"Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires." James 1:20 (NLT)


Lately, I've been angry. To an extent, I'm not too sure I know why I've been angry but I've come to realise that this has to do with the fact that I keep running away from God and the responsibilities He's placed in my hands. (Read my post on running away) Simply not doing as He's asked or responding to His calls can change your emotions FOR Him, AGAINST Him. Yeah, it's funny right, I did not believe it till I experienced it,hence it affected me gravely. After close examination, I caught a glimpse of what the scripture was referring to in terms of righteousness and not being able to be the Christian I'm daily growing to be. 

Anger blocks the fruits of the spirit being used. In other words, it inhibits you being patient with a person who seems to be unaware of the discomfort their actions bring you. It doesn't allow you to view that person in love or be gentle with them. It completely blocks you from using kind words towards them if and when correcting them. It disables you from living in peace with all men. It robs you of your internal joy. It discourages you from being faithful to your prayers for them (for example in the event that this is your spouse, friend or even child). Anger encourages a lack of self control and it's in these circumstances that you find people uttering words they never would have in the first place and in summary it produces no good.


There is a way that God requires us to behave as listed in Galatians 5:22 and anger is one of the things that blocks us from acting in such a manner. 


I'm not sure who I wrote this post for but I know that at one point or the other, we may have been angry and displayed characteristics that we otherwise wouldn't have. I implore you to forgive yourself but take conscious steps to avoid such a state (whatever that means for you) next time.


Let's not allow anger to block our fruit and ruin our testimonies as Christians


Rubo 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig